« Home | UPPER EAST SIDE DIGS » | GRACE » | YOUNG PROFESSIONAL? » | CHANGE AND HOPE » | I've been putting off posting about my experience ... » | GIRAFFES & ART = !!! » | AND A CRAFTY NEW YEAR » | LET FREEDOM RING » | NEW YOOORK CITY » | BRANDED »

DANCING IN THE STREETS OF HARLEM

There is still an air of celebration in the City today over Barack Obama’s victory. I can feel it when I walk down the street, when I catch the eyes of strangers as they smile at their newspapers. One can sense the victory that African Americans must feel and the pride we all feel for them. And although the problems on Wall Street aren’t fixed, there was a joyful spirit about the City as we all shuffled to work today.

This morning as I headed to the subway, I saw a white man in his 60s or 70s come out of the gym. He grabbed the hand of a friend of his, and smiling from ear to ear he proclaimed, “Today is a wonderful day to be an American!” I couldn’t have said it better myself. I have felt so much pride in my country today, and in the man that will be my next president.

Last night I took a cab home from my friend’s apartment. As I opened the door to the car, my cabbie greeted me happily. He was driving down from Harlem, and it had taken him a long time to get through because everyone was dancing in the streets of Harlem, he said. The streets were so crowded he couldn’t even drive through. Oh how beautiful! Oh what joy!

Below are photos that I took early on in the evening at Times Square and then at Rockefeller Plaza (MSNBC):

Times Square:




MSNBC:





About me

  • My name is Heather and I love people, making art, drinking espresso, airports and traveling, taking walks, recycling, reading, spirituality, discovering who Jesus is, trees in the winter time, avocados, graphic design, podcasts, sushi, cold weather, typefaces, and watching movies.